• December 13Our newest edition of the printed ECHO will come out next week, so be ready!

• December 13The final day to turn in assignments is this Friday, Dec. 14.

• December 13The last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 21 and will be an A day

Memes Galore

Meme courtesy of ivy.edu.au

Meme courtesy of ivy.edu.au

Tylyn Johnson, Writer

For the uninitiated, memes are a form of everyday satire that tends to plague the internet and social media, usually in the form of some image and/or video with captions. Since the PSAT/NSMQT were taken, the internet has been met with a swarm of tweets and memes regarding them .

The PSAT/NSMQT is essentially a standardized tests high school students take in order to prepare for the SAT, one of the possible test scores, alongside the ACT, many colleges require, and some don’t. The NSMQT part is essentially the PSAT for juniors vying for scholarships based on the PSAT scores, and a number of other follow-up requirements. This year, many schools gave the PSAT on Saturday, October 15th, and Wednesday, October 19th. Other schools, and many more memes, will join the pool after Wednesday, November 2nd.

A draining test, if only due to the ~3 hours it takes to complete, students were bound to start reflecting on it through the use of memes. Of course, that comes with the risk of CollegeBoard, the head of PSATs, APs, and a number of other college-related exams, discovering the students making the jokes and revoking their scores. Yes, this happens. However, it was expressly stated that students couldn’t discuss test questions, and they signed that they understood that.

With the scores of the tests due to be released within a few days, such reflection is necessary in order to be able to cope with the reality of standardized testing and the role it plays in our educational system, and to a larger extent, human society and the global community, especially those looking to go to college/university. And while the students’ reflections may be perhaps a bit juvenile at times, it does also provide some sense of closure for those stressing over the results, acting as an entertainingly cynical form of coping, however risky it may be.

While the writer of this article would like to include memes in the article directly, for fear of his PSAT/NMSQT scores being cancelled, he will instead provide some of the memes, as they are analyzed/reasoned by Abby Ohlheiser of the Washington Post, through this link to a website where others have posted their own.