• April 19Earth Day is Monday, April 22; Shortridge will go around the neighborhood and help the environment or learn about the world, don't forget to wear your class colors!

• April 11The spring play She Kills Monsters will be presented Wednesday to Saturday at 7pm. Tickets are $10 at the door or online through eventbrite

• April 11The MYP art show is on April 18 and 19 from 6-8; Support the hard work the students put into their artwork

Trump’s Foreign Models Feel Like Slaves

Trump Model Management, the Models, and H-1B

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump’s Foreign Models Feel Like Slaves

Photo courtesy of politico.com

Photo courtesy of politico.com

Photo courtesy of politico.com

Photo courtesy of politico.com

Zoe Bardon, Writer

Donald Trump has a modeling agency known as Trump Model Management that is known for having foreign models. The company brings in these women and profits from them. Donald Trump has an 85% stake-hold in this company. Last year, he made almost $2 million from this company. Recently, allegations have been made against Trump Model Management for bringing in women illegally.

Former models for Trump Model Management have spoken out about their experience with Trump Model Management.

Rachel Blais is from Montreal, Canada. Blais worked for about 3 years for Trump Model Management starting in 2004.  She worked for about 6 months in the United States without a work visa until later in 2004 when an immigration lawyer secured her a visa.

During those 6 months, Blais appeared on The Apprentice, a reality TV show by Trump. Blais was modeling the outfits designed by the participants in the show. Rachel Blais is supporting a new regulation in the fashion industry that prohibits models under the age of 18 from being portrayed as adults.

Alexia Palmer, another of Trump’s models, says she felt like a “slave.” She was lured to the United States by Trump Model Management when she was 17 years old. Trump Model Management filed for H-1B for Palmer and stated that she would be making $75,000 a year. Palmer claims she made a few thousand dollars in a 3-year period. They also stated that she would be working “full time,” but Palmer only did 21 shoots in the 3-year period that she was working. Palmer could not work for any other agency because H-1B visa only allows applicants to work with the company at which they originally applied.

Trump Model Management is currently being sued by Alexia Palmer. When a company applies for the H-1B Visa, the company is obligated to pay the amount listed. Trump Model Management has brought in 30 foreigners on this visa, despite Trump’s claims of opposing such practices. Trump’s website even states: “These are temporary foreign workers, imported from abroad, for the explicit purpose of substituting for American workers at lower pay. I remain totally committed to eliminating rampant, widespread H-1B abuse.”