IPS School Board Candidates

The Candidates and the Districts

Back to Article
Back to Article

IPS School Board Candidates

photo courtesy of myips.org

photo courtesy of myips.org

photo courtesy of myips.org

photo courtesy of myips.org

Zoe Bardon, Writer

Four IPS School Board members are up for reelection November 8th, 2016.

The first of the four members is Vice President Sam Odle. Sam Odle is representing Indianapolis as an at-large candidate. He has served on the school board for only one term.

The second of the four members is Commissioner Michael O’Connor. Michael O’Connor represents District 1. District 1 includes schools *2, 57, 58, 74, 82, 88, 15, 114, 101, and Arsenal Tech High School. Michael O’Connor was appointed to the position by the board to fill the vacancy of past Commissioner Caitlin Hannon.

The third of the four members is Commissioner Diane Arnold. Diane Arnold represents District 4. The IPS schools located in District 4 are schools *46, 34, 31, 65, 67, 19, 63, 39, 49, as well as Key Learning Community and George Washington High School. Diane Arnold has served as an IPS School Board member since 2004.

The fourth member is Commissioner Gayle Cosby. Gayle Cosby is the only IPS School Board member not seeking reelection. Gayle Cosby represents District 2. The IPS schools located in District 2 are schools *99, 54, 27, 105, 103, 93, 94, 51, 106, as well as the Francis Bellamy Preschool Center and John Marshall Community High School. Gayle Cosby has served as an IPS School Board member since 2012.

Commissioner Lanier Echols of District 5, President Mary Ann Sullivan as an at-large member, and Commissioner Kelly Kennedy Bentley of District 3 are the IPS Board Members whose terms last until November 2018.

For this election year, there are quite a few people running against current IPS School Board members. Elizabeth Gore and Jim Grim are both running as at-large candidates against Sam Odle. Christine Prince is running as a District 1 candidate against Michael O’Connor. Dr. Ramon Batts, Nanci Lacy, and Venita Moore are running as District 2 candidates. Larry Vaughn is running as a District 4 candidate against Diane Arnold.

Election day is Tuesday, November 8th. The Echo encourages all tax-payers to educate themselves on how all of the candidates for office will spend our money.

*All school lists for each district are according to the myips.org website.