• May 21Snow makeup day is May 24

• May 13Student Choreography Showcase Thursday, May 23 at 7; Tickets $2 and enter through door #11; Performance at the Courtyard Stage

• May 13Seniors: You must be finished with Plato courses by May 24th to participate in Commencement.

A Look Back at She Kills Monsters

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Look Back at She Kills Monsters

Eli Schmitt, Writer

As I look back on opening night of ‘She Kills Monsters’ very clear memories come to mind. I remember the hand moist with nervousness, the band playing guitar sing-alongs and the jumpy energy of the cast members. After almost 80 long hours of fight choreography, laughing, & blocking the time had come to present our baby to the world. 30 minutes later the actors would walk on stage and started the performance. After they warm up they all come together in the same manner as any sports team and recite “They don’t care about the last show, they don’t care about the next show, they only care about this show. So let’s play the hell out of it!” This mantra rang continually throughout the next 4 nights, where every night the entirety of the cast and crew gave every moment their all. Even after all of the tough moments when the curtains closed they all knew that they left everything out on that stage.

She Kills Monsters tells the story of Agnes (Dale C) as she deals with the death of her younger sister, Tilly (Amelie Z). She achieves this by learning how to play Dungeons and Dragons with a module that Tilly wrote before she died. Along her journey, Agnes meets Tilly’s friends Chuck (Angus M, Lilith(Lily W), Kaliope (Brenna Y) and Orcus (Noel G). The play who’s central theme is relationships also deals with mature issues such as bullying and LGBTQ+ issues.

The play is Shortridge’s most mature production to date. Instead of the comedies and musical of past productions, She Kills Monsters fuses comedy and drama in an extremely entertaining way. The play also features the first SHS production to use a live band. The Shortridge Garage Band Club provides a slick and fun musical accompaniment full of 90’s hit that accent the play time and setting.

But the play is more than just great production elements. It also is full of great performances from all the actor’s some of my favorite features include the wonderful chemistry between Dale and Amelie, or Lily’s and Dale’s great letter scene near the conclusion of the play. Another aspect of the play that shines bright is the fight choreography throughout the play, the highlight being the Tiamat fight during the climax of the play.

Even a week after closing night of the play the memory of the play stills shines bright in the members of the cast and crew. Personally, I loved every moment that I had during the process of preparing and performing She Kills Monsters. I am excited to see where the Shortridge Theatre Department moves on from here to more daring and amazing productions.