• January 16Snow coming, a inch or so on Thursday, 6 inches or so possible on Saturday.

• January 16MLK Holiday on Monday; No school Monday nor Tuesday, Jan. 21 and 22.

• January 16NHS Fundraiser changed from Jazzy Jeans to hats or head coverings allowed if bring canned food or $2. Teachers will still wear jeans.

The BSU Toy Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

The BSU Toy Drive

Owen Szymczak, Author

The Black Student union organized a toy drive to be sent to elementary schools. The following is what the president said about the drive…

My name is Shari Lynn Himes and I am President of the Parent Teacher Student Association for Shortridge High School (SHS).  I am honored to tell you that the SHS Black Student Union organized a holiday gift drive to benefit IPS #48 Louis B. Russell and IPS #43 James Whitcomb Riley. PTSA has worked with BSU to promote this student driven effort.  As a bit of IPS trivia Mr. Russell was my school principal at IPS #69.  If my memory serves me correctly, I believe he was the first African American to receive a heart transplant in Indianapolis.  I can still remember seeing him dressed up as Santa Claus the night of our Christmas play.

Since Thanksgiving BSU has collected school supplies and related items to support your students and staff in the New Year.  This service project is a way for the SHS Black Student Union to expand their community reach. The BSU co-presidents traveled via IPS bus to deliver your items on Wednesday, December 19 between 12:30 and 1:30 PM.  If you have any questions please reach out to Ms. Lisa Patrick, SHS Administrator and BSU adviser at 317.226.2810 or email [email protected]

The BSU donated 50-75 different types of toys and school supplies, from small games to notebooks and paper and even backpacks. The participants were Mesgana Waiss, Tatiana Williams, Arthur Hinton, the principal of school #48, Jamie Rogers, a social worker at school #48, and our own secretary Ms. Patrick. We give huge thanks to the BSU for organizing this drive and giving so many toys and school supplies to schools who needed it.