• April 19Earth Day is Monday, April 22; Shortridge will go around the neighborhood and help the environment or learn about the world, don't forget to wear your class colors!

• April 11The spring play She Kills Monsters will be presented Wednesday to Saturday at 7pm. Tickets are $10 at the door or online through eventbrite

• April 11The MYP art show is on April 18 and 19 from 6-8; Support the hard work the students put into their artwork

In The Commons – Thanksgiving

Back to Article
Back to Article

In The Commons – Thanksgiving

By Owen Szymczak and Brennan Dowdy

Welcome back to another In the Commons article, where we take your opinions and give them a voice. We ask questions to the public about a certain topic so they can be heard and recognized. If you want your voice to be heard in our next article, contact us at [email protected] for a potential interview.

Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, we wanted to focus our article today on that. To get the full picture, we asked both students and teachers our questions. We wanted to know what people think of this holiday, how they celebrate it, if they celebrate it, and other questions related to this holiday.

The Basics of Thanksgiving

For anyone who doesn’t know, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 4th thursday of November. It has been celebrated on and off since 1789, with a proclamation by George Washington after a request by Congress. The origin of the holiday is that it was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in October 1621, and was celebrated with both pilgrims and Native Americans.

Popular Thanksgiving Activities

• Giving thanks
  • Prayer
  • Feasting
  • Spending time with family
  • Football games (There’s always a football game on Thanksgiving)
  • Parades (Especially the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade)
  • Local “Drumstick Dash”
  • Food drives
  • Hand Turkeys
  • Decorate for Christmas
  • Black friday

The Opinions

These are the questions we asked people, as well as what they said in response.

• How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

• “I normally go to my grandparents house and have a family thing.”- Kellen Hawver, Freshman
  • “I usually go to California. I’m with family and friends of my family.”- Cece Goff, Sophomore
  • “I hang out with my family and help cook.”- Francisco Quintana, Junior
  • “It’s pretty traditional. It’s just us having dinner. After the first dinner though, we go to my grandparents house and have a bigger dinner.”- Bre Castaneda, Senior
  • “I usually celebrate it with my family, so I usually do family traditions, such as eating german food. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it’s all about family.”- Ms. Parsons, English

• What do you think of Thanksgiving?

• “It’s horrible because there’s no reason for it. It’s just another way to get off work. It’s just stupid.”- Alexander Torres, Sophomore
  • “The meanings been changed. It used to be about family being together, now it’s about attacking each other.”- Cadence Zerayakob, Sophomore
  • “I love Thanksgiving. It’s the best. It’s better than any other holiday because you can eat whatever you want.”- Dale Cheney, Junior
  • “I think it’s a great time to get together with family and eat food, but it’s also appropriation of native american culture.”- Aiden Goldsmith, Senior
  • “Thanksgiving is about being with family. We play cards, but we don’t have thanksgiving till dinner. I don’t think it’s ever changed. As you get older, it’s harder to get family together. Thanksgiving was awesome when I was younger because everyone was together.”- Mr. Hirsch, Gym

• What are you thankful for?

• “My friends because they support me.”- Em Crecelius, Freshman
  • “Im thankful for all of my friends because they’ve helped me come out of my shell and become who I am now.”- AJ Esters, Sophomore
  • “Family and my girlfriend because they’re my main source of happiness recently.”- Victor Magallanes, Sophomore
  • “Im thankful for my friends, my family, and everything.”- Chloee Roberts, Junior
  • “My family and my cat because they keep me going everyday. I couldn’t do it without them.”- Mrs. Reiberg, Theater

Thank you for reading in! Let us know if you liked our article by commenting below.