In The Commons

By Owen Szymczak and Brennan Dowdy

Welcome back to another In the Commons article, where we take your opinions and give them a voice. If you want your voice to be heard in our next article, contact us at [email protected]

This time, we will be talking about the upcoming midterm election. We wanted to bring both facts and opinions to our audience to help voters make informed choices on Nov. 6.

1. What you need to know

The first thing you need to know is who is elected. Although it sometimes differs from state to state, the majority of the states vote on a seat in the Senate, the House of Representatives, and for governor. In this election, only 33 states are voting for a senator, with 35 of the 100 seats in the Senate on the line; also, all 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for election and finally, 36 states are voting for governor. Both the House and Senate current have a Republican majority, with the Senate being the closest with 51 Republicans and 49 Democrats.

There are major problems with a Republican-dominated Congress, as well as a Republican president. For most of the recent presidential elections, the congressional majority party was the opposite of the presidents; for example, during Obama’s second term, both the Senate and the House of Representatives had a party flip towards Republican, same with Bush, Clinton, and even Reagan. This helps balance out the party’s power between the executive and legislative branch, as to not cause one party to have majority of the power.

The politicians know this as well, which is why you’ve seen so many political commercials, some of which have been very aggressive, throwing out words such as “radical” or “horrible.” They need to win, and are desperate for their party to be the majority in Congress. For these midterms, Senate candidate Mike Braun has spent $13,803,547 on his campaign, and Incumbent Joe Donnelly $14,760,273. 

Voter turnout for mid-term elections is usually much lower than the presidential elections, but the Nov. 6 voting could determine the future of our government. So far early voting numbers show   Whether you vote Republican or Democrat, if you want your party to have a better chance in the government, then vote on Nov. 6.

What people think of all of this

We interviewed students and staff about the Nov. 6 election and following are the responses

1. Do you find yourself informed about the election/ candidates? 

• “Yeah, I get a lot of ads that lead me to google them.”- Brenna Young, freshman
  • “No, we don’t get cable, so we don’t get the info from the commercials.”- Julian Lynch, junior
  • “Yeah because we go to my grandma’s house and we have discussions and debates.”- Anyia Ross, freshman
  • “I’m pretty well informed. I listen to NPR daily and check out local, national, and international websites. Every election is becoming more personal, making it more important to be involved.”- Mr. Zummo, Room 156, Humanities

2. What do you think about the recent political commercials?

• “I think the political commercials are funny and exaggerated. They’re pointless and about the same stuff. It’s like the Spiderman meme where Spiderman is pointing at himself.”- Josel Covarrubias, senior
  • “Honestly, I think most of them are ridiculous, but, I think that’s the point. It’s not meant to inform, but to play into our fears.”- El’ad Nichols-Kaufman, sophomore
  • “I think they are unfair and misleading. They are scaring people to vote one way. It’s happening on both sides. They’re not about issues with voters, but wedge issues.”- Mr. Durrett, Room 157, Humanities

3. Would you vote if you could? Why?

• “If I could vote, I most certainly would. I absolutely would because voting is how we’re represented as people and how we choose who represents us.”- Angus McCutcheon, sophomore
  • “I would because we the people need to speak up for what we want.”- Danny Galan, senior
  • Yes, I would vote right now because I would do anything I could to get rid of Trump and his people in the Senate. Democrats don’t have enough voice in Senate because it’s Republican-dominated. I would also vote because I did a lot of stuff with the March for Our Lives and I learned a lot about gun control. We are the future generation to clean up Trump’s mistakes.”- Jackson Hubert, freshman
  • “If I don’t vote and be a part of the process, then I can’t complain. It’s the most important right we have.”- Mrs. Smith, Room 219, Humanities