Jonathan’s Monster

Johnathan lived in his house for many years. It was an old house, so old you need special nails to hang things on the walls. So old, you can hear a person moving from the other end of the house. So old, it had already had its centennial. Long story short, this house was very old. He loved living in his house during the day. The large windows filled the house with light, it was large enough to run around through, but still cozy. It was home, and Johnathan loved it there. But, that was when there was light. Once dark crept through the house, it seemed to infect every crook of every room. It wormed its way through the walls, up the stairs, into his room. Every night, Johnathan hid from this plague, and every morning he arose undefeated. But some nights, around every full moon, the darkness had a special element to it. Some nights, it would work its way down to the basement, and sprout something ugly. Something most vile, and repulsive, and evil. It would spawn into Johnathan’s own home… a monster. Johnathan knew it was there. He could hear it some nights, pounding through the house, stammering around in the halls. He could see it through the lock in his door, and through the crack underneath, but he never saw all of it at once. He knew it was there, and it terrified him. He tried telling his mom and dad about the terrifying creature he witnessed some nights, and how it would terrify him more than anything in the world. But his parents didn’t understand. “The monster is just a guest, dear. It’ll leave soon, I promise,” said his mother. “The monster is nothing to worry about, son, he’s harmless. He’ll never do anything to harm you,” said his dad. But Johnathan wasn’t convinced. And those nights, when the darkness would conjure up the monster to live among men for one more night, poor Johnathan would remain terrified in his room, with nothing he could do. That is, until Johnathan could stand no more. One night, around a full moon, Johnathan heard the pounding of the monster’s feet through the house. And then, a crash, as the monster took down an entire table outside in the hallway. Johnathan had had enough. He wasn’t scared anymore, he was angry. He leaped out of bed, threw open the door, and looked the monster in the eye. Or eyes. Many eyes, and it was hard to see them all, since Johnathan was so small, and the monster was so massive. Gargantuan even. Johnathan took a gulp as he realized, maybe he wasn’t cut out for this. Maybe there was nothing he could do but run away, and accept his fate, and let the monster do it’s bidding through his home. He dashed back into his room, closed the door, crawled into the corner and wept as he realized he was stuck with the monster from now on, and there was nothing he could do. As tears rolled down his cheek, he asked himself, “Why?  What did I do to deserve this monster?” After an hour had passed, he worked up the strength to crawl across the floor, into bed. Another month passed, and the monster came and left again, and then another month, followed by the same encounter through his door. But by the third month, Johnathan yet again couldn’t take it anymore. Night fell over his home, and the darkness creeped in yet again, and in the basement, the monster was born into reality. It stomped through the house, as if it were his. He ransacked the fridge, knocked stuff onto the ground everywhere he went, causing nothing but chaos. Johnathan sat up in bed. He knew he wouldn’t be getting any sleep tonight. At this point, it was more a matter of trying to figure out where the monster was at any given time, and keep track of what is potentially broken. He listened as the monster came up the stairs, as it had so many times before. It crashed through the hallway, sliding along the halls. But then it did something new. It stopped right outside Johnathan’s room. Johnathan froze, and dove under the covers. He felt himself trembling as he heard the door knob click. The door creaked open, and the monster began to enter his room. Johnathan hoped the monster wouldn’t look under the sheets, to reveal his terrified self. The monster loomed closer to his bed, but suddenly, a new figure entered the room. “What are you doing! We said any part of the house except Johnathan’s room!” declared his dad. He peeked under the covers to watch what was happening. The monster seemed increasingly aggravated. It swung its arms, as if it were throwing a tantrum, and made grumbling noises. “Don’t you take that attitude with me! We had a deal,” he said back. The monster swung its massive arms again, this time hitting his dad on the arm, and sending him to the ground. His dad violently shushed the monster from the floor, clutching his wounded arm. “He’s asleep,” his dad reminded the behemoth through a whisper, “You need to go!” The monster released a sound of defeat, and stomped out of Johnathan’s room, knocking over a few Little League trophies as he left from the sheer vibrations of his walk. His dad followed behind the monster and looked back at Johnathan’s bed as he closed the door. Johnathan peeked from under the covers as his dad left, but his dad noticed, and paused, then walked over to Johnathan, and sat down on his bed. “Johnathan, I’m sorry. Your mother and I, we didn’t tell you the whole truth. You see, the monster isn’t our monster, it’s mine. You’ll understand someday, but for now, I’m sorry you have to deal with it,” explained his father as he tucked Johnathan back into bed. Then he got up, and left, softly closing the door behind him. Johnathan got little sleep that night. He was too confused as to what everything his father said had meant. How did he get a monster? What was its purpose? These questions stewed in his mind all night. Another month passed, and Johnathan almost forgot about the monster, and what his dad said. But forgetting about something doesn’t make it go away. Night fell, darkness creeped in, and the monster was born yet again. It stomped through the house, making noise everywhere it went. Crashing, banging, groaning from the floors. He heard as his dad went downstairs to try and control the beast. Johnathan listened as his dad attempted to reason with it, to get it to calm down. It sounded like it was working, and the monster would calm down for the night. But, there was a horrendous roar, and a loud crash from downstairs. Then, Johnathan listened as the monster moved through the house, up the stairs, and right outside his door. The knob slowly clicked, and the door creaked open. Johnathan cowered beneath the covers, hoping the monster wouldn’t find him. The monster entered Johnathan’s room, his breath heaving as if he were out of stamina. He listened as the monster scoured every inch of his room, messing with every object it could put its hands on. Johnathan waited patiently for his dad to rescue him. But then it dawned on him; the crash from earlier was his dad. Jonathan was on his own now, he knew his mom was too heavy a sleeper. Johnathan decided it was time for his bully to come to an end. He threw off the covers, catching the creature by a great surprise. It spun around to meet Johnathan, now at eye level thanks to the height provided by his bed. They locked in eye contact for what seemed like an eternity, and Johnathan worked up the courage to begin. “You do not belong here! Leave!” Johnathan yelled at the ugly beast. It was now that Johnathan could see its matted fur that covered his entire body, and the awful, sharp, pungent smell that seemed to radiate from it. The monster looked at him, digesting his statement, and then decided to reject it. He voiced this decision with a loud, ear splitting, jet engine-like roar. It rocked Johnathan’s world, and he began to feel very dizzy. But he shook it off, looked directly at the monster, and made his final demand. “Go Away!” JThe monster looked confused, as he turned and began to leave. It stopped at his door, looked back at him, and made some very sad noises, as if he were trying to speak. And then he left Jonathan’s room, and crept back down to the basement, and disappeared early for the night. Johnathan ran downstairs to find his dad sprawled across the floor. He had been injured, but nothing some bed rest and an aspirin couldn’t fix. Johnathan was finally free of the monster, and he felt satisfied. But, there was something new, he realized. Every night from then on, he would hear a chuckle from under his bed. After some nights of this, and thinking he was delusional, he finally looked under his bed, to find a smaller monster. He was alarmed at this new creature. It came out from under his bed, and began to bounce around the room, causing chaos. Johnathan tried to catch it, but it wouldn’t leave. He tried ignoring it and sleeping, and that worked at first, until the monster began to hop around on Johnathan until he would acknowledge him again. This went on for the rest of the night, and from every night from then on. Finally, after a month, when the big monster should have appeared again, Johnathan gave in. “What, what is it that you want? Just tell me!” he pleaded. The little monster stopped, looked at him, and with his hands, created a bubble. The bubble floated up past Johnathan’s face, and in it he could see the big monster. It was sitting in his parent’s room, on the old rocking chair, seemingly humming to itself. In bed, Johnathan saw his dad, eyes open, and appearing to go insane. That was when Johnathan realized, his dad couldn’t sleep unless the monster was elsewhere, out of his room. So, one night a month, he would let it out. The only way for his dad to function was to let his monster out of his room. That’s why it was his monster. So it probably didn’t help that Johnathan had such a problem with his dad’s monster. Johnathan got out of bed and, followed by his own little monster, went to his dad’s room. Inside was his dad, wide awake. “What are you doing up? You should be in bed,” said his dad. Johnathan looked at his dad, and said exactly what his dad needed to hear. “Dad, I forgive your monster for keeping me up, and scaring me. And I forgive you for having one. I know now it’s not your fault.” His dad looked at his son, who he realized was wiser than he was, and gave him a hug. Johnathan had realized something important, that all his dad’s monster needed was forgiveness. In the corner, rocking away was his dad’s monster. But it hummed a little softer that night. Johnathan’s monster disappeared after that, and his dad’s monster was around the house less. But that didn’t matter to Johnathan anymore, because he wasn’t afraid. He knew that, sure, things got messy when the monster made its rounds, but what was important was that his dad  would deal with it. Johnathan faced his monster in the end,just not in the way he expected.