Shortridge FAQ

Student Media staff writers  took on the task of finding answers to the most-asked questions of the hundreds of new students at Shortridge High School. Following is a compilation of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and answers from the school website and student handbook in these first two weeks:

By Caleb Bowie

What is Week Without Walls?

1. Week Without Walls is a time in late May when all scholars and staff depart the school to experience different communities through exploration. Each year, scholars have options to travel with their class on overnight excursions or remain in the Indianapolis area and participate in a series of day trips. Overnights include wilderness adventures, natural history, Indiana history, college visits, living history tours, group field work in the sciences, team building activities, cultural immersion, art appreciation and life experiences including travel safety and budgeting.  Day trips include historical site exploration, architecture tour, military history, nature exploration, poetry, literature, hiking, biking, college tours, art appreciation and community service.

Why do we do Week Without Walls?

1. To get new experiences and learn more about ourselves and others.

What have we done for past Week Without Walls?

Freshmen went to Spring Mill State Park to camp and hiked the local trials and Sophomores went to Washington DC.

By Brysay Aguilar, Jasmin Carrera-Ochoa, Jasmine Castillo, Amy Juarez-Lemus

What grading system does Shortridge use?

Shortridge uses an IB grading system. The IB uses a seven-point grading system, 1 being the lowest and 7 being the highest. Getting a one means that the student has shown very little to nothing in understanding and knowledge on the subject, and a seven meaning that the student has shown and gained a great depth of knowledge and understanding. Some people may think that the traditional alphabet grading system is easier to understand and use, but the IB grading system is honestly more easier to pass. It’s almost impossible to fail under the IB. To put it into more simpler terms, getting a 7-8 is the equivalent to an A, 6-5 is a B, 4-3 is a C, 2 is a D, and a 1-0  is an F. It might take a while to get used to the IB grading system, but in it’s time everything will make sense.

What athletics does Shortridge offer?

Shortridge offers different athletics depending on the season. For the fall, they offer, co-ed cheerleading, girls’ cross country, boys’ cross country, football, girls’ golf, boys’ soccer, girls’ soccer, boys’ tennis and volleyball. The winter sports are co-ed cheerleading, girls’ basketball and boys’ basketball. In spring, basketball, boys’ golf, co-ed track and field, softball and girls’ tennis are all offered. Other athletic clubs are co-ed ultimate frisbee and co-ed chess.

Why are some buses being removed?

The reason on why some of the buses are being removed at Shortridge is because IPS has teamed up with IndyGo to offer more transportation options to the students. Using IndyGo could be an easier way to get to places especially after school. This also gives the students to experience being on the city bus. All you need to be able to ride IndyGo is your bus pass.

What lunches does Shortridge offer?

Shortridge offers variety of option to students using different lunch lines for different lunch options. At Shortridge you will notice 4 distinct lunch lines, the lunch lines being flame, slice, zing, and express. In the flame line you will see options as cheeseburger on a bun and grilled chicken club. In the slce line students can see options such as meatball subs or pizza slices. The zing line you will see options from build your own nachos to  chicken tenders. Finally, in the express line you will have fast and easy to access lunch such as salads, power packs, and pb&j sandwiches.

What is the Shortridge Daily Schedule?

Shortridge students are on a daily block schedule that is split up into A Days and B Days. Both days have a total of four classes with an ATL (Approaches to Learning) period of a half hour. Having the schedule split up it prevents students from stressing out and not having to deal with a total of eight classes in a everyday basis.