• April 19Earth Day is Monday, April 22; Shortridge will go around the neighborhood and help the environment or learn about the world, don't forget to wear your class colors!

• April 11The spring play She Kills Monsters will be presented Wednesday to Saturday at 7pm. Tickets are $10 at the door or online through eventbrite

• April 11The MYP art show is on April 18 and 19 from 6-8; Support the hard work the students put into their artwork

Black Panther Soundtrack Review

Final Verdict= B-

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black Panther Soundtrack Review

Eli Schmitt, Writer

The soundtrack for the Black Panther is curated and executively produced by TDE head Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith and Kendrick Lamar. Lamar was originally supposed to only do one or two songs for the soundtrack, but after seeing the movie he decided to do the entire thing.

The majority of the songs were made while on the DAMN. tour with Lamar and TDE in-house producer Soundwave. The soundtrack features heavy contribution from Lamar as well as fellow TDE label mates: Sza, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock and Ab-Soul. As well as other contributors such as Khalid, Future, Travis Scott, Vince Staples and the Weeknd.

While the overall sound of the album is very commercial this doesn’t detract from the enjoyability of the soundtrack. On one song, “Big Shot,” Kendrick reuses a line from his Rich the Kid feature on “New Freezer.” While the line isn’t bad, I’m bothered that, Kendrick Lamar, one of the best lyricists of this generation couldn’t come up with a 4 line hook.

It’s important to note that this is a soundtrack and isn’t an album and it’s made to be taken song by song and doesn’t have to stick to a cohesive idea. But through great features and lyrics this soundtrack mostly does stick to the themes of the movie and hopefully some of the songs are included in the movie. This soundtrack overall does a great job increasing the hype for one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

My favorite tracks include : X, paramedic, kings dead, and bloody waters.