Thoughts on Writing and Experiencing Journalism

Courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Tylyn Johnson, Chief Editor

My work on The Shortridge Daily Echo ultimately stems from a passion I have for writing as a whole, and applying it to as many subjects as I possibly can. I have mostly my passion for writing driving along my work as a writer. It is how the world works in various ways, from how we tell history and mythology to our youth, to the inner workings of government and the improvising mind, that needs to be told in a manner that can be accessible to anybody interested in it.

The work that I have done over the past 2 years has been beyond enlightening. And much of that time went into the planning of the pieces, being that I usually had to perform research in order to make what I am presenting  informed. When it came down to the execution of the works that I have presented, I often found myself simply sitting down and typing whatever came to mind that was of the subject, after performing any preliminary plotting for the articles. This usually required a span of some days to write, given the academic workload I learned how to bear.

Fun Fact: Coming up with the polls sometimes took more than one sitting. They are concise, but it can become difficult to keep fresh polls on the site.

Typically, this was executed while at home, some of it was overseen by the Daily Echo’s supervisor, Mr. Hoffmann, with even a few of my pieces inspired by work I had done previously, creative or academic.  

The primary difficulties I found myself encountering in the writing process was a form of Writer’s Block. While it did not fully prevent me from writing due to a lack of ideas, it was actually having more ideas than I could actually handle that limited me. As precocious as that may sound, it was really a simple matter of details, and knowing if whether certain details or facts would further my piece, or if I was doing more than I should. Often, simply writing down the ideas, be it on a blank document or a piece of notebook paper, and comparing what I wished to do in terms of what I wanted to accomplish did the trick for me. 

From this experience on The Shortridge Daily Echo, I can say that I have most definitely grown as a writer, particularly with tailoring my style o being more concise. This seems to be increasingly important in a world where we seek information in a more fast-paced manner. And while I did not necessarily do as much as I wish I had, such as investigative journalism or photography, I did learn a bit more about the field of journalism, and how writing might be used to affect the world. I’m also taking note of the necessity of marketing and getting the name of the site out there, since many Shortridge students remained unaware of this news publication or its history.

Ultimately, I hope that this venture for The Shortridge Daily Echo will still hold up in the years to come. Being that I graduate this June, and am leaving the mantle of a high school legacy over a decade in age to younger students, I can only hope that this student newspaper turned news site lasts. After all, many students have made attempts to bring it back, from a WordPress site to a blog that I seem to be unable to find the link to. This has been a wonderful experience and trial in getting seeing how my abilities as a writer are perceived, and may that experience be one enjoyed by other writers and contributors for The Shortridge Daily Echo.

It has most certainly been a ride, and goodbye.