• May 1Remember to keep your May schedule organized as the school year winds down! A lot is going on this month; including exams and class activities!

• April 24Congratulations to all of the latest inductees into the National Art, International Thespian, and Tri-M Music Honor Societies!

• February 6"Spread the love," SHS' Gender-Sexuality Alliance

Rebranding Indianapolis Public Schools

An Exposé on MyIPS and the "Career-Academies"

Courtesy of Dylan Peers McCoy and Chalkbeat

In Indianapolis, the current, very popular topic of discussion is the high schools closings. It was officially voted on Monday, September 18, 2017, that the only traditional public high schools left in IPS would be Crispus Attucks, Shortridge, George Washington, and Arsenal Tech.

Herron, Herron Riverside, and Purdue Polytechnic, all “innovation” high schools, were not included in the high school closing process.

The closing of IPS high schools is set in stone, but MyIPS, the rebranded version of IPS’ administration, has continued to spin the high school closings in their favor. MyIPS has claimed to develop the new, innovative career-academies for the public high schools who were left open. The issue is that the majority of the career-academies, formerly known as magnet programs, have been a part of IPS high schools since Duncan ‘Pat’ Pritchett was superintendent in 1997.

One of the schools that MyIPS has claimed as new is the “Teaching, Learning, & Leading Academy.” This academy, or magnet program, however, is not new to Indianapolis Public Schools. According to articles published in the Indy Star in the early 2000’s, the “Teaching Professions Magnet” was introduced to Manual High School by former superintendent Pat Pritchett. This isn’t the only program that is not as “new” and innovative as advertised. The “Business and Finance Academy” was a magnet program formed similarly to the “Teaching Professions Magnet.” It was housed in Northwest High School. Both programs did not last, but neither are new to IPS.

MyIPS has proven that even current magnet programs can be spun into new, innovative academies. They recently posted on MyIPS.Org that the Crispus Attucks students are “leading the way” and that the academy, known as the “Health Sciences Academy,” “…is a hit with Attucks students.” The academy, however, is the magnet program that has been a part of Attucks for years. Even under the Indiana Department of Education, Attucks’ name is Crispus Attucks Medical Magnet High School. MyIPS is currently in the process of changing Attucks’ name under the IDOE.

IPS is one of the poorest school districts in the state of Indiana, and a lot of taxpayer dollars have been spent on this rebranding. There are students in this district who are dependent on their local school to educate them, and MyIPS has chosen to promote themselves over educating children.

If you would like to address the school board, you must sign up under the tab “School Board” on MyIPS.org. The sign up closes at noon the day before the board meeting. The link for the sign up is: http://www.myips.org/domain/9088

1 Comment

One Response to “Rebranding Indianapolis Public Schools”

1. Smithk239 on December 29th, 2017 3:12 am

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists. ffbkeagakeckbdce

[Reply]

• Rebranding Indianapolis Public Schools

Showcase

J-Day: The Experience of a Lifetime for Writers

Local

Aggressive Petitioning and Transportation: School Board Meeting

Opinion

Sexism in Dress Code

Opinion

The NRA’s identity crisis

History

Regarding Scientific Truth

Opinion

Thoughts on Writing and Experiencing Journalism

Local

Matchbook Learning: An interview with Commissioner Gore

Showcase

Student Government Ratifies Constitution

Global

A Moderated Conversation with Former First Lady Michelle Obama

Black Panther Soundtrack Review

Rebranding Indianapolis Public Schools