The Red Line

IndyGo plans to build a rapid transit system along Meridian Street.

This image is courtesy of IndyGo.

This image is courtesy of IndyGo.

This image is courtesy of IndyGo.

Zoe Bardon, Writer

As Indianapolis increases in population, the demand for faster and safer public transportation has increased. To meet the needs of the public, IndyGo plans to build several Bus Rapid Transit, or BRT, lines throughout Marion County. IndyGo’s Red (BRT) Line will have major impact on the Shortridge community.

The Red Line will travel north to south spanning from the Indianapolis Art Center to the University of Indianapolis. The Red Line will have a stop at Meridian and 34th Street, almost directly in front of Shortridge. Along with the Red Line, the Purple Line will follow the Red Line’s route north until 38th Street where it will turn right and head east.

The Red Line will have a total of 28 stations and spans 13.6 miles. The Red Line will be in operation for 20 hours out of the day. On weekdays, the Red Line will run every 10 minutes. On weekends, the Red Line will run every 15 minutes. IndyGo plans to serve 11,000 people per day on the Red Line. 136,000 people work along the Red Line. 60,000 people live along the Red Line. The Red Line will serve 133,000 college students.

This image is courtesy of IndyGo.

IndyGo currently finishing the last minute design details, but they have ensured several aspects of the station’s designs. North of downtown, the bus stations will be located in the middle of the street with bus lanes on either side. South of downtown, the bus stations will be located on the sides of the road. There will be a bus only lane in the street. Streets will not be expanded by this additional lane, but we should expect to lose some of our lanes. There will be a divider between the cars and buses. This divider will allow emergency vehicles to drive over it, but it will make it clear where cars can no longer be. The station’s curb will line up exactly with the bus ledge making it easy for people with wheelchairs, strollers, and bikes to enter and exit the bus. The station’s roof will be inverted so water and snow will roll off onto the road and not the awaiting passengers.

The Red Line uses part of Capitol Avenue where there are currently bike lanes. These bike lanes will be moved to Illinois Street. The new bike lanes on Illinois St. will have barriers between the vehicles and bicyclists. The new bikes lanes will also be bigger than the ones currently around the city.

Since the Red Line will be in the center of Meridian St, you will no longer be able to turn left onto 34th St. while heading south on Meridian. The majority of left turns we would take today while heading south on Meridian will no longer exist. You will still be able to turn left on 38th St, 36th St, and 32nd St. while heading south. This change was made to keep the bus line fast and effective.

While the Red Line seems like a major change to Indianapolis, we won’t be seeing its full potential for a couple of years. The Red Line will begin its construction this spring. The Red Line could be a major way for students to get to school instead of a school bus, but when I asked about a partnership between IPS and IndyGo, the Red Line public outreach team seemed to not be at that step in their process yet. Keep an eye on the Shortridge Echo for more information on the Red Line.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Red Line”

1. Becky Murray on April 17th, 2017 10:40 pm

Sounds exciting! Very informative, Zoe!

[Reply]

Zoe Bardon Reply:

Thank you!

[Reply]

• The Red Line

Opinion

The Liberal Fear of Race

• The Red Line

A Review: SHS’s The Little Mermaid

• The Red Line

Showcase

These Busy Scholars at Shortridge

• The Red Line

Local

Editorial Review: Shortridge Scholars Present at the KVML VonnegutFest

• The Red Line

Global

An Approach to the Natural Sciences

• The Red Line

First Ever Spooky School!

• The Red Line

Happy Death Day: Is it worth it?

• The Red Line

Showcase

How much luggage should I carry?

• The Red Line

Little Mermaid Promises To Be A Hit

• The Red Line

An Analysis of the Social Sciences

The Red Line