• April 19Earth Day is Monday, April 22; Shortridge will go around the neighborhood and help the environment or learn about the world, don't forget to wear your class colors!

• April 11The spring play She Kills Monsters will be presented Wednesday to Saturday at 7pm. Tickets are $10 at the door or online through eventbrite

• April 11The MYP art show is on April 18 and 19 from 6-8; Support the hard work the students put into their artwork

A Day Without a Woman

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Day Without a Woman

This image is courtesy of the Women's March on Washington.

Zoe Bardon, Writer

Anger has united women and men globally since the 2016 Presidential Elections. On January 21st, 2016, a day after the presidential inauguration, millions of people globally marched for women’s rights. The Women’s March on Washington organizers weren’t done protesting after the Women’s March on Washington. They have planned a day of protest for Wednesday, March 8th, International Women’s Day. This day is being called A Day Without a Woman.

For A Day Without a Woman, the Women’s March on Washington organizers are urging people to commit to one or all of the following on March 8th:

1. Women take a day off from work, whether it is paid or unpaid.
  2. Avoid shopping with exception to small, minority-, and women-owned businesses.
  3. Wear RED!

The Women’s March on Washington organizers have made it possible for everyone to participate. Whether you need the income, you don’t own any red clothing, or you have to go get groceries, it is possible to participate and show that women’s rights are important.

The Trump Administration has made decisions that have left the nation in an uproar. Trump has stated that he won the popular vote and electoral college which is untrue. Trump lost the popular vote by almost 2.9 million votes. Later on, Trump claimed that “unauthorized immigrants had robbed him of the popular vote majority” according to the New York Times. These accusations have led to several other protests one which bares much similarity to A Day Without a Woman.

In response to the Trump Administration’s actions, on February 16th, 2017, A Day Without Immigrants was held nationwide. Groups gathered in protest. Businesses were closed. Schools were half full. According to NPR, at least 2 schools in Washington, D.C., were closed for the day. A Day Without a Woman appears to have more of a presence in the media. If A Day Without Immigrants shut down schools and businesses, A Day Without a Woman will be a major event in women’s rights history.

1 Comment

One Response to “A Day Without a Woman”

1. Kristie on March 7th, 2017 3:05 am

Great article! Are you doing something that day?

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

Day of Silence

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

NHS Food Drive

• A Day Without a Woman

A Critic of Us

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

Pi Day; How Shortridge Celebrated the Event

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

The New Spring Edition of the Echo is Here! Pick Up Paper Copies at the School

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

What’s Going On?

• A Day Without a Woman

Community

Freshman Honor Roll

• A Day Without a Woman

Opinion

Opinionated Over the Government Shutdown

• A Day Without a Woman

DP Art Show “Archipelago”

• A Day Without a Woman

Roma: A Review

A Day Without a Woman